AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

converting a stave silo to bottom unload
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dumbfarmer2
Posted 6/7/2023 21:42 (#10261128 - in reply to #10261073)
Subject: RE: converting a stave silo to bottom unload

SE Iowa
We use a bag every year for our cows/calves and also fill the silo for fat cattle with conveyor system. Yes it’s a little crude but I can feed 100 head of fat cattle from start to finish in about 10 minutes. I can promise you I can’t scoop that much silage and feed it with a wagon in that amount of time lol. No engines to start when it’s cold, no mud to spin around in when it’s wet in the spring, silos keep excellent feed and don’t have to worry about rodents getting into it like a bag.. idk if your going in to long term cattle feeding it seems to me like the best option.
I really think most silos got a bad wrap because guys didn’t do routine maintenance on them like they should.. and then when things break up in the air it sucks. But not letting it get to that point is the key. We’ve fed probably 5-6 years no with zero issues with the unloader just have to keep up on it before it gets too bad.. u don’t expect ur tractor to run on the same oil for 20 years don’t expect ur unloader to run maintence free either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)