AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cuts of meat for freezer beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 6/9/2023 08:06 (#10262754 - in reply to #10262658)
Subject: RE: Cuts of meat for freezer beef

NW Missouri
I agree. I'd hate to estimate what someone will end up with ahead of time. I have a close friend that I sold a beef to back during the covid butcher craze (we typically only raise butcher calves for ourselves and sell the rest of them through the salebarn). I sold it to him at a pretty significant good buddy discount, and he still questioned me about it after all was said and done thinking that he paid too much. Part of the issue was that the butcher costs were pretty high, and part of the issue was he didn't get as many pounds of meat as he thought he would.

My first career was as a journeyman meat cutter, so I am pretty picky when it comes to people butchering for me. But I don't have the time (or a cooler) to do it for myself. A few unsolicited suggestions to the OP: Always suggest your customers get T-bones and Porterhouses, even if they think those steaks will be too big. If they get strips and fillets, a lot of places will end up mangling the small part of the backstrap. It's better to just cook one big steak and split it between two people. I always ask them to take the sirloin cap off. Sirloins are big steaks even without the cap, so why keep a piece on there that has the grain running a different direction? That meat can be used for fajita meat, or stir-fry, or anything else that will be cooked in a pan (always better to use sirloin for that stuff vs chuck). Ask the butcher shop to tenderize the cube steaks twice or even three times as much as they usually do. Most shops run them through a couple times and call it good. But if you run them through until they are almost falling apart, it makes all the difference in the world. I have a tenderizer at home, so I just do that myself instead of trying to get them to do it for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)