AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Upgrade - Which Way to Go
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bhrfarms
Posted 6/10/2023 09:55 (#10264202)
Subject: Planter Upgrade - Which Way to Go

Northeast Indiana
I've got a 7200 planter that I upgraded 4 seasons ago with new Harvest International Row units, Vdrive, speed tubes, delta force, clean sweep, dual conceal, smart depth, EM Vapply for every row on the 2x2x2 and 4 section infurrow, and martin 2 stage closing system. So the planter is well decked out, but the 7200 bar isn't nearly as heavy built as today's planter bars, and also doesn't have bulk fill. So I'm looking at 3 options: 1 is to rebuild the 7200 bar, beef it up, clean up all the hydraulic lines with stainless hard lines, and use refuge tanks to add bulk fill to the planter. 2 is to find a used planter with bulk fill that needs the row units rebuilt and to strip it down and move my row units and equipment over to. 3 is to order a new Harvest International bar without row units and then move mine over to it. The first option would take a lot of time, probably about $20k, and down the road would still not have a great resale value. The second option is a little over half the cost of the 3rd option, but due to still being a mix matched planter, wouldn't have the resale value of a 100% Harvest International planter. The 3rd option is obviously the most costly, but it would be brand new, have the best resale, and could last our operation for quite a while with just maintenance and upkeep. I've gone back and forth between all 3 options and wanted to get some outside thoughts from people. All advice is appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)