AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DroneDeploy vs Pixhawk and Pix4D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 4/25/2016 06:19 (#5261926)
Subject: DroneDeploy vs Pixhawk and Pix4D

What are the pros and cons of using a DJI product with DroneDeploy vs a Pixhawk controlled device of some sort and then processing the data with Pix4D or something similar?

Just looking at it, it appears DJI and DroneDeploy is the easy button and Pixhawk controlled devices and Pix4D is the DIY version.

Is Pix4D processing all done locally? How long does it take? Does it do a good job with NDVI?

I live in an area that allows for only cellular internet in terms of decent speed and latency so lower bandwidth requirements of local processing would be interesting to me.

Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
doc_ks
Posted 4/25/2016 12:55 (#5262529 - in reply to #5261926)
Subject: RE: DroneDeploy vs Pixhawk and Pix4D

Kansas
we have used DD for both platforms..good to great results on both the DJI and our Pixhawk based wing.
Use DD app to do the whole DJI flight then upload images to DD.. 45 minutes after upload is done and you have what you need.
On the wing.. Mission Planner to do the flight. Pull the sd card and upload the images to DD.. have seen no difference in quality overall and speed of the process.
Agisoft is our goto app for inhouse stiching, w/ Agpiel to render NDVI. We dont upload images from very many flights, prety much all done in-house.
Are you saying that you have limited or no web upload to DD of your images ?
We have a 90 day deal with Pix4D mapper that we haven't used yet, still waiting on the Sequoia. The Pix4d forums on FaceBook are interesting, for how-to and user comments.
we are getting @ 30 acres per battery on the DJI P3p.. and over 320 acrs per flight with the pixhawk wing.. Thats the big difference as we see it.
30 to 50 images per P3P batery.. stiches in 15 minutes.. @ 450 images with the wing > @ 1.5 hrs to pull up the NDVI render on our PC.

Edited by doc_ks 4/25/2016 13:03
Barney
Posted 4/25/2016 13:58 (#5262615 - in reply to #5262529)

West Central, IA

What pixhawk wing are you flying?

dpilot83
Posted 4/25/2016 15:02 (#5262684 - in reply to #5262529)

Thanks for sharing.

It's just that for uploading quite a few fields worth of pictures, we start bumping up against our data limits. We run close to our 40 GB per month limit without DroneDeploy so it's easy for an extra thing to push us over.
doc_ks
Posted 4/25/2016 19:42 (#5263007 - in reply to #5262615)

Kansas
Who..? me.. I have an ageagle wing with a pixhawk/px4 FC in it.
BacNBlak
Posted 4/25/2016 20:37 (#5263127 - in reply to #5262529)

Eastern Shore of MD
I was just looking at the AgPixel website. Looks interesting but not much info on the software and purchasing goes. Why do you not use AgPixel to stitch and render the NDVI images if you don't mind me asking? I emailed them for more info about their software (system requirements, cost, sensors they recommend) but if there is anything you'd like to share about it, I'd certainly like to know! Thanks in advance.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to doc ks.

Edited by BacNBlak 4/25/2016 20:39
4wdaaron
Posted 4/25/2016 21:30 (#5263302 - in reply to #5262529)

Northern Indiana
Interesting info doc_ks, thanks for sharing.

What is your Pixhawk wing based?
I'd love to have a wing for the speed, but the cost of most is just insane compared to a Phantom or Inspire
doc_ks
Posted 4/26/2016 12:49 (#5264441 - in reply to #5263127)

Kansas
I use Agisoft to stich.. Agpixel for NDVI rendering of the stiched images. Agpixel is no longer sold as stand alone software.. They have gone all cloud based. All of my current software we use in-house came with the AGEAGL kit when originally purchased. I have not looked into the AGPIXEL cloud that much. DroneDeploy had me do some beta work last year and I have just hung with their services when needed.
doc_ks
Posted 4/26/2016 12:56 (#5264454 - in reply to #5263302)

Kansas
My wing was made and setup by the AGEAGLE team, with the PIXHAWK 2 yrs ago. It has been modified once since, to new the latest FW version once. We usually run missions @ 15mps (30mph) because the S100 shoots kinda slow (1 image / 2.2 seconds). The wing is capable of flights that hit 20mps (@45mph). If you want a low cost system, this wing is worth looking into.. > http://www.autonomousaeronautics.com/ they have several different air frames and camera options.. all pixhawk based.

Edited by doc_ks 4/26/2016 12:59
4wdaaron
Posted 4/26/2016 17:38 (#5264845 - in reply to #5264454)

Northern Indiana
Thank you for the detailed response. Will check those low cost systems out
Derrick W
Posted 4/26/2016 17:56 (#5264885 - in reply to #5261926)

I started out with cloud services and ultimately switched to in-house processing. For some jobs, the cloud services don't allow you to do critical steps in the processing, such as identifying a calibration target or input GCPs. This may have changed since a year ago, but I like handling the data myself. It's kind of a "chain of custody"/integrity thing.

If the cloud services haven't corrected these issues yet, they will eventually.
Derrick W
Posted 4/27/2016 15:13 (#5266831 - in reply to #5264885)

This is another reason I prefer to do the processing myself. I just saw THIS today.

Quote from the link-

I've used DroneDeploy a bit for mapping, love the workflow, though sometimes I wonder about the copyright and rights of the images I uploaded their service. Turns out on their website:

"By using the Service, you grant DroneDeploy a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide license to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display, and distribute your User Content."

Seems fair enough for a cloud service to use your data for their internal stuff (BTW technically Google can also use your email/photos/docs if you have an account with them), but the sub-licensable part implies they can also on-sell the license to your mapping data? Just a head's up in case you are mapping sensitive areas!

Pix4D might have something similar but I haven't tried them before, will probably use offline softwares for projects needing more privacy and security. 

dronedude
Posted 4/28/2016 20:52 (#5270355 - in reply to #5266831)

SE Iowa
Didn't realize that about DroneDeploy... scary stuff right there. Makes me want to go the Maps Made Easy route, or buy Agisoft
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)