AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carbon Fiber Props
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

CornHawk
Posted 5/14/2016 12:37 (#5301219)
Subject: Carbon Fiber Props

Do carbon Fiber props make any difference? Better handling, more efficient power? Have a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and would like to have an extra set on hand but they are much more expensive. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ringo
Posted 5/14/2016 15:16 (#5301444 - in reply to #5301219)
Subject: RE: Carbon Fiber Props

Yorkshire UK

There's very little difference but the sound changes slightly - not clear if it's louder or different frequency, but I fancy you can hear it further away.
They do look nicer - not least because the dark colour doesn't show all the dirt and bug guts.
If you get some best get DJI's own IMO

If you hit something they will cut deeper or break in a more spectacular way. 

260david437
Posted 5/14/2016 18:32 (#5301696 - in reply to #5301444)

north east IN
I have always heard to stay from the CF props, don't fly as well, cut better, not sure this is true but I have always used the white props from Dji and have never broken one
MidwestVantage
Posted 5/16/2016 09:45 (#5304480 - in reply to #5301219)

Des Moines, IA
Carbon props definitely make a difference. Most plastic props (DJI's may be a stiffer composite though) tend to flex when they are under high torque. They can flatten out slightly and lose efficiency. I've encountered this, both in small racing quads as well as my larger aerial photography rigs. The carbon props are substantially stiffer and you don't get that flex. You have better efficiency out of the props as well as them tending to be more resilient if you have an unintended meeting with the ground.

The benefit of the plastic props and their flex is they tend to "soften" the feeling of the craft. Due to them flexing a bit at higher torques, it helps soften those sudden movements. People who switch from plastic to carbon will generally notice their craft feels more twitchy. That's due to losing that cushion the prop flex gives you.

People talk about the props sounding different. That difference in sound is the presence or absence of the prop flexing.
tkepler
Posted 5/18/2016 09:21 (#5308208 - in reply to #5301219)

Chappell, NE
I agree with everything MidwestVantage said.
GonzoCSU
Posted 5/19/2016 09:03 (#5309789 - in reply to #5301696)

Iowa
CF should actually fly better because they are stiffer than the plastic props so they don't flex like the plastic props do. Plastic props are much more forgiving though, if you tip it over on landing or you hit something with a prop you may just get a little ding (which you can fly with but probably shouldn't) or no damage at all. CF shatter when they break and do way more damage to flesh if you accidentally get into the props.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)