AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Precision Drone?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

450R
Posted 5/20/2016 09:24 (#5311450)
Subject: Precision Drone?

NE Illinois
Does anyone have any experience or feedback on the Pacesetter UAV? Seems to be the whole package, during initial research the pricing scared me away but I'm seeing them pop up in AT classifieds, Tractor House and one on ebay now. All seem a lot more realistic/economically priced…..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Polaris800
Posted 5/20/2016 09:37 (#5311471 - in reply to #5311450)
Subject: RE: Precision Drone?

NE Iowa
I talked with a salesmen about one. Haven't purchased yet but it's near the top of my list. Biggest thing to me was it's a one time purchase. No yearly charges for mapping software or anything like that. Curious to see if anyone will have personal experience with one.
farm2020
Posted 5/20/2016 18:31 (#5312026 - in reply to #5311471)

We've used a PD since spring of 14. It is a nice ship, that has both positives and negatives. Both list are extensive. The biggest drawback is flight time...its 14 min max. Also have to adjust overlap during in season crop to get photos to stitch. Stitching, well it's more art than science. It isn't just put photos into software and boom it's done. It takes some time and need have a computer that can handle it. I'm sure they've made improvements from the original one we have.

Nothing wrong with ours, but are looking to get rid of it. We've upgraded to a new one.
BacNBlak
Posted 5/20/2016 21:21 (#5312299 - in reply to #5312026)

Eastern Shore of MD
What did you upgrade to if you don't mind me asking?

I have been looking into PD for a couple years now. I had to shy away from them only because my operation is not big enough to support the price and commercial operation just seemed like too many hoops to jump through, especially before these FAA exemptions began. Now, we are on the cusp of REAL commercial drone regulations that don't require a pilot's license and there are a LOT more options out there now. I will say, I met the guys form PD at the Ohio Farm Science Review and they seem like top notch, dedicated folks. They were really on to something several years ago when they offered the first 'total package.' Way ahead of the game if you ask me.
farm2020
Posted 5/21/2016 07:31 (#5312703 - in reply to #5312299)

I should of said we "are going" to be upgrading to a new one. I think the DJI Inspire series. I like the idea of drone deploy and that technology. Have a phantom now and it's awesome; 20+ min of fly time and easy to use.
McGinnisPrecision
Posted 5/24/2016 11:29 (#5317880 - in reply to #5312703)

Precision Drone now offers what we call a Pacesetter II. This comes with the one touch stitching software that will eliminate the time it takes to sit there and make the maps. Also, just release at the beginning of the year was the EXT package. This now allows the 20 minute fly time. Please let us do all we can to keep you with Precision Drone for your crop scouting needs.
farm2020
Posted 5/25/2016 19:22 (#5320245 - in reply to #5317880)

I worked with Adam and Aaron Sheller directly with ours for the past few years. I understand the new technology, but also all the time that they and I spent sharing ideas and how things work with it. I don't believe there is anything that is "one touch" stitching. It may work now, it may work when corn is v1-v5, but as soon as you get into mature crop, fields that don't have roads, trees, etc around them it will be very, very difficult for it to stitch. I've flown 20k acres over past two years and have pretty good handle on what it takes to be successful at crop scouting.

I can get 10 phantoms and drone deploy for the cost of what you have listed in the classifieds....and get better NDVI images....or just use Agisoft, which i already own, and upload the phantom photos and get NDVI in 20 min.

123agscout
Posted 6/16/2016 00:18 (#5358108 - in reply to #5320245)

east central south dakota
Do you stitch your own farm 2020? Also what camera do you use on the phantom for the best NDVI? Can you do stand counts with it. Just curious
Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)