AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Phantom 3 Pro/ 3DR Solo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

GAFarmer55
Posted 5/30/2016 23:48 (#5329338)
Subject: Phantom 3 Pro/ 3DR Solo

South Georgia
Trying to decide which route to take. Has anyone flown both? If so which did you like better. I have a Phantom 1 and it did a good job. Have a Phantom 3 Pro that crashed and basically burned the other day. It was great up to that point. But if I am going to replace it, which would be the choice? Both look good, couple different features on both. But both look and sound good. One point is that I am used to DJI functions, but can learn other.

Just curious if anyone has flown both of these and your opinion.

Thanks,
GAFarmer55
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Derrick W
Posted 5/31/2016 01:07 (#5329358 - in reply to #5329338)
Subject: RE: Phantom 3 Pro/ 3DR Solo

I use Solos and absolutely love them.

I'd still recommend the phantoms to almost anyone. The P3, P4 and Inspire just.....work. They always work.
The Solo allows for much more flexibility, but it also uses the same firmware that I used when I built my own, so I was attached to it from the start.

If you don't want to do any tinkering or mess with adding custom payloads, etc....I'd recommend the Phantom 3 or 4.
paul the original
Posted 5/31/2016 01:12 (#5329363 - in reply to #5329338)

southern MN
There are whispers about 3DR having funding and stability worries.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-maker-3d-robotics-reboots-by...

http://www.droneflyers.com/2015/12/is-3d-robotics-falling-from-the-...

They came from a hobby, build your own, background. Sounds like by the time you actually get a useful video taking Solo, you have quite a bit invested.

Paul
Derrick W
Posted 5/31/2016 01:27 (#5329366 - in reply to #5329363)

They're definitely hurting. Last I heard, they had enough funding to make it through Q3 2017.

They were trying to compete with DJI in the hobby market and got spanked. The gimbal issues at launch really didn't help.

Now they're abandoning DIY and bowing out to DJI on the hobby side and trying to take the professional/commercial market. The problem is that their enterprise solution is ridiculously overpriced and the same thing as the hobby version (right now), and requires a monthly subscription that is 7x as much as drone deploy.
It's pretty sad, since I really like 3DR.
paul the original
Posted 5/31/2016 07:13 (#5329492 - in reply to #5329366)

southern MN
Since their roots are in DIY, and the consumer product is/was cool but a step behind; its difficult to take then seriously on a high-end market. Throw in the possible business troubles if business doesn't straighten out for them, and it will be a tough row to hoe to make their plans work out. Going after the high end with a sputtering company is asking a lot.

Shame, I liked where they came from, and we need competition its never good to have just one top dog do I acting an industry.

Paul
GAFarmer55
Posted 5/31/2016 07:54 (#5329550 - in reply to #5329492)

South Georgia
I had heard they had a pretty good one. But wasn't sure, sounds like it is if you like more flexibility and adjustments. I do think I liked flying with my GoPro more than the DJI camera. But I do like the live feedback. Sounds like I may be better off to try another phantom 3.

Sad part is I could have an inspire for what I have in these two phantom 3 professionals.

Edited by GAFarmer55 5/31/2016 08:20
paul the original
Posted 5/31/2016 08:19 (#5329596 - in reply to #5329550)

southern MN
A friend of ours - who got me into this money pit hobby by selling me his used P2 - is kinda disgruntled he got the inspire back when, then the P3 came out, he feels the P series is getting more advanced and the Inspire is languishing for the premium price it had.

I have not been around a Solo, think they had a pretty good deal but I'd be concerned about the future buying one now, if the company says they are abandoning that avenue of sales.

Paul
Barney
Posted 5/31/2016 08:22 (#5329601 - in reply to #5329596)

West Central, IA

Like the Solo's that I'm running.  Able to do a lot of things with the pixhawk controller that you can't do as cleanly w DJI for special functions with mission and geotagged pictures.  That's not a huge deal depending what your doing.  Very reliable and simple to fly. 

GAFarmer55
Posted 5/31/2016 08:26 (#5329607 - in reply to #5329596)

South Georgia
I have to many money pits already. This is just another I guess. Main thing here is I can pick up a P3 Pro for $799 plus tax. That's everything, remote, charger, and a battery. Had 2 battery's with my other P3 Pro that crashed. Said cost would be about $400 to replace motors and frame on crashed one, seems the gimbal and all still works. Trying to decide what route to take, no word from DJI about it again. A P3 Pro and battery only are $709 still, so the $799 is a great buy looks to me like.
aerialtom
Posted 5/31/2016 15:30 (#5330148 - in reply to #5329607)

DJI's Naza flight controller is top notch. Take care of your batteries and that system will take care of you. DJI is in my opinions the most tried and trued system on the market. If the gimbal is still good you can sell it on ebay for good money. People are always looking for replacements. $799 is a great buy! You can also part out the flight controller and the main board if they are in good condition which it sounds like they are! Best of Luck!
GAFarmer55
Posted 5/31/2016 20:22 (#5330637 - in reply to #5330148)

South Georgia
Thanks aerialtom, well if nothing else, if I buy a new one then I have spare parts if ever needed. I still haven't bought a new one. Just can't bring myself to spend the money again to get another one. I feel a little let down with the one that crashed. If I felt the crash was 100% my fault then I would have no problem what so ever just replacing it, but how it came down and what was toast when I picked it up, just makes me feel it had a problem in the air. DJI said to send it to their repair facility, no mention of warranty, or checking it over and seeing if they thought there was a problem.

Not really sure what I should do or buy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)