AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Competition for fertilzer . . .is this why prices are higher?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 8/28/2007 14:17 (#194545)
Subject: Competition for fertilzer . . .is this why prices are higher?

north central Oklahoma
I know it's mostly because the industry can do it so they do do it, inasmuch as "N" prices go. But, I was jut watching HISTORY channel at lunch and saw a piece on the history of dynamite and the blasting industry. ANFO has more or less replaced nearly all uses of TNT(dynaamite) because of cost. They claim that with fertilzer prices around 30 cents a pound (and they may be getting bulk discounts) and dynamite near $2/pound it's a no brainer, coupled with the fact that ANFO is much more stable and less sensitive to handling. Mentioned that the blasting industry consumes 4 BILLION pounds of ferilizer annually. If my math is correct, that is 2 million tons used each year in the blasting industry. At an average 400# per acre applied, that is enough to cover 10 million acres. Someone please correct me if I err, ( I had my CC on the TV, and I was sure it said 4 Billion). The public is up in arms over the use of corn for fuel instead of food, it seems we should be up in arms over the use of fertilizer for uses other than growing food and/or fuel.

Slow day here guys. The heat has returned, but rain and cooler weather predicted for later this week in Oklahoma.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)