AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Line shaft vs submersible pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SEOHfarmer
Posted 5/24/2023 23:26 (#10242456)
Subject: Line shaft vs submersible pump

Been pricing new well options for the farm. We currently have 2 line shaft pumps and have been reliable for us. Trying to decide between staying line shaft on the farm or going to submersible. Pump system will be pulling from approximately 100ft and pulling hopefully 450 gpm. VFD drives for either system.

Line shaft pump is 220v. Steel casing required.

Submersible has to be 460v due to depth and gpm desired. Could be done in 220v but then price increases drastically and price beings to compare to the line shaft. PVC casing is an option and somewhat appealing to avoid rust in our drip systems.

I am torn between the 2 styles of pump. The submersible, even as a 460v, is the cheaper of the two options. The submersible system is about 75-80% the cost of the line shaft unit.

The line shaft motor being at the top of the well head and being able to be removed without pulling the entire pump is appealing and partly why I keep going back to them.

Electrical costs to supply this well are not much different according to my electrical company. The cost to install a new pole with either 220v or 460v will be very similar so that helped me swing one direction or another.

Does anyone have an opinion on either one? Are the submersible pumps reliable to where I hopefully won't be pulling it out in 10 years? The drilling company I have been talking with is not particular either way. He says he's done enough of each system to not worry about either one. He did say if it was 15 or 20 years ago trying to do a VFD submersible would scare him and do line shaft. With today's technology and motor reliability, he doesn't have the issues with them like he did in the past.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)