AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storm Power Outage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Olpivotdoc
Posted 1/14/2024 23:03 (#10574741)
Subject: Storm Power Outage

Storm Power Outage
We had 12” of fluffy snow then another 5” or so on top of that. Friday evening the wind was 40 to 50 MPH and howling with the temperature dropping. Early Saturday morning it was a white out blizzard here with 5’ to 7’ drifts. Linda (my wife) heard a loud bang from the basement. Later when she got out of bed she found that the electric power was not working right. We didn’t want to bother the power company with another storm call as they surely had many calls already due to the storm problems. We hooked up our Patriot backup power supply to my laptop and a small room heater and waited for the power to return. It was getting cold in the house even with the wood cook stove going. I then noticed a small night light was on in another room. So we did have power on one leg. Linda called my brother to check the 400a fuses. He found the fuses were good but one service feeder leg was bad. We called the Power Company to come out check out the system. They somehow made it out here in the whiteout and road conditions. They found the power at the transformer up on the pole was ok. So it wasn’t the storm’s fault after all. That meant a bad underground service feeder! I had switched the 400a 3 phase service over to single phase years ago as I didn’t need 3 phase anymore. Seeing that spare wire which you ordinary never see, the linemen were so glad to be able to use that old wire. 45 or so minutes later the furnace came on. The radio said it was 18 degrees below zero and 51 degrees below zero with the wind chill feel temperature. I really appreciate my family’s help and admire all our American working men and women that work through all kinds of nasty conditions.
God knew that I would need that wire as a spare in the future and to not pull it out during the power change over. God is so good and he is watching over us at every moment and we don’t even see any evidence most of the time. God is a mighty and powerful God. He loves us so much and wants to be a part of everything we do to the smallest of details.
With it being winter and the start of a new year, it’s a good time to look back and see how God has been working in your life, even if you didn’t realize it. Oh it is so nice having the furnace working again. Will Kuchar
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)