AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Northern cattle to Oklahoma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

doby86
Posted 4/5/2024 03:05 (#10694317)
Subject: Northern cattle to Oklahoma

Hey guys, I’m looking for any insight, experiences, or just general information from anyone that has moved their ranch from a northern state to Oklahoma. I’m considering making a big switch from eastern Montana to central or northeast Oklahoma. It seems like the cost to raise a cow would be substantially less, less/no irrigation, much smaller property size which in turn means much less taxes and things of this nature. Less stress on the cattle not going through -30 temps every winter. Much smaller window for feeding hay, I personally feel it would be more profitable if the cows were able to harvest more of the forage on their own instead of me putting it all in a bale to get through 6 months of the year. It seems like you get alot more bang for your buck with carrying capacity and water resources. My big concern is how would northern black angus cattle from one of the driest places in the country fare moving into a 30+ inch rainfall area? It would be a 400hd cow/calf operation. What are the downfalls and things that a guy should consider just in any and all aspects of a ranch operation? Is a guy better off where he’s at? Is my theory of a much lower overhead correct or am I daydreaming and not thinking about all the pitfalls? I do understand it would come with its own unique set of challenges, but maybe less so than I’m used to. I’m fairly young and have a low brain cell count so any insight would prove very valuable to me! Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)