AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Northern cattle to Oklahoma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

3Sfarms
Posted 4/5/2024 14:57 (#10695136 - in reply to #10695081)
Subject: RE: Northern cattle to Oklahoma

South Carolina
doby86 - 4/5/2024 15:08

Thanks guys. I think a consultant would be a good idea which I hadn’t considered. It takes 30 acres to run a cow where I’m at in a normal year if there is such a thing and about 40 acres in dry years, average rainfall 10 inches or so. As far as the precise area of Oklahoma, haven’t really zeroed in on anything. Just looking online there looks to be alot of nice places within an hour/ 90 minutes of Tulsa in about any direction. Would love to go spend a bunch of time there, but unfortunately the ranch keeps me pretty tied down. Have ranched here for 20 years, but changing things up is often the best path to continued success in my experience. Calving here is done from March-May. As expenses continue to skyrocket, it’s got my mind working and thinking about areas of the country that may potentially have lower overhead. Southeast Montana is inherently high overhead regardless of modern practices it seems, primarily due to feed and irrigation costs.

I think before I invested the time to explore OK I would go visit with ranches like lacock’s and others that are having success reducing feeding on the high plains. I would also go to Ranching4Profit before I made a move.

I worked for an outfit in Kirby so I am familiar with the area and the practices. I think you can reduce overhead and labor with changes.

I say all this unless what you really want is to leave eastern MT.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)