AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IS this a good gymsum/fertilizer product?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Applicator
Posted 10/7/2007 17:03 (#215829 - in reply to #214686)
Subject: Re: IS this a good gymsum/fertilizer product?

My objection to spreading it that I did get sick from it. The stuff is so fine and dusty that cab filters do not work well. My reason for not wanting it on our ground is that there are heavy metals in the sludge that comes from Los Angeles. I learned one reason from a conversation with a guy whose family owned one of the largest plating plants in Los Angeles. This took place at a motorcycle race (about 1985) in the Mohave desert, not in an Ag environment. He said that it is easy to follow the sewers to a plating plant that has been out of business for 20 to 30 years by sampling the sludge. This used to be the way the plating outfits got rid of the plating sludge, just dump it down the sewer. He said they now had it hauled to a copper mine in Arizona now.
There is still a political/court fight between L. A. and Kern Counties over the sewer sludge issue that has been going on for at least five years. Since Los Angeles has more money and political influence, it does not seem that we will be able to make them keep their crap. I would think any sewage from a location that has had heavy industry for decades has the same problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)