AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Sprouting on the Ear
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 10/17/2007 00:27 (#220992 - in reply to #219705)
Subject: Re: Corn Sprouting on the Ear

I ran into this problem several years ago. I first noticed it in the combine hopper & got to looking and found ears that the bottom kernals acutally had sprouts long enough that they were coming out the top of the husks. It was an unusually warm & wet fall & this hybrid had years that stood up on the stalks instead of dropping over like most do when mature. When I pulled some shucks back water would actually fly out of them.

I was going to put the corn in a bin but was hesitant so I took a sample and should it to ur local elevator owner. He said he wouldn't be too concerned but did say the corn needed to have some heat put on it to kill the sprouts. I binned the corn, dried it with about 110ยบ heat (in bin drier) and ran a stirrator on it longer than normal. I kept a close eye on the bin & it kept fine till June when I emptied it out and didn't get any dockage on the corn.

We ccould use some rain here, sure would help the wheat come & we could use a break. Got 3" the first of Sept & have had two of .1" since.

Edited by boog 10/17/2007 00:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)