AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

E. coli outbreak linked to organic farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 9/16/2006 12:17 (#44233 - in reply to #44157)
Subject: Re: E. coli outbreak linked to organic farm

Rolla, ND
Pretty cool huh? It's a Hackney Walking Plow, the only working one is at the Dale and Martha Hawk Museum here in Rolette County. That plow is their pride and joy but they have lots and lots of other stuff.

A couple of pictures of the actual Plow are here: http://www.historylink101.com/lessons/farm-city/auto-plow.htm

It's something we have here that no one else has. So when I came on that drawing I thought it was pretty neat and decided to use it for awhile. The family of the inventor had a reunion at the museum a couple of years ago.

I think this E. coli outbreak is real interesting because here a lot of people were out proclaiming organic as wonderful and the saviour of the small farm and so much safer and better. And now we have this poisoning and it's in state after state and brand after brand and it's all going back to this huge organic organization. It kind of points out the fantasy land part of the organic image.

Of course my basic objection to organic isn't the use of many of the techniques or anything but that many of the fundamental beliefs and foundations of it go back to the New Age Religion that got it going and if you keep going back it was basically the hippies of the 60's that were the founders. It's really something when you get a true believer going an he starts in on how the organic food has more energy and such. It's all the same falsehoods of reading people auras and such. So it's hard to get excited about an agricultural production system based on a false religion.

Wonder if it's going to snow tomorrow, we have been ever so dry, so even a couple of inches of rain won't last long, now guys will start to cultivate and soil testing is going to get rough.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)