AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Partial answer on record keeping for hay sales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/26/2006 13:36 (#46855 - in reply to #46777)
Subject: Well Texas could use some good hay!!!!!!!!!

Little River, TX

Be my guest and send them some real hay. The custom Hay folks have been kept busy baling corn stalks, after the insurance OK's the failed crop claims. The Milo stubble is being cut and baled. Both are being sold as hay.

The joke is there would not be a Texas shortage of hay if hay was treated as a cash crop, and fertilized.

True alfalfa is not real big here, only 2 or 3% of our hay ground is in alfalfa. But than much of the hay ground here would not grow alfalfa. The farmers in the Panhandle are getting back into growing alfalfa for the large confinement dairies finding a home there. For maybe 4 years now there have been 3 or 4 quick and easy Extension presentations about alfalfa production. The Extension people out there are doing a good job encouraging alfalfa production. They are bringing in people from New Mexico where alfalfa is their biggest cash crop. I understand New Mexico is also importing Dairy Quality Hay. Not sure what they mean by Dairy Quality but I expect they mean >180 RFV. They still ship hay to Texas but it is their seconds.

The beef cattle folks are looking for hay. They will not believe the rule of thumb: not buy the idea of reducing their stocking rate, in a good year. Grandpa said you make money selling calves not feeding cows,  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)