AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time for a semi?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 11/5/2006 10:03 (#58244 - in reply to #58137)
Subject: RE: Time for a semi? thoughts ,

just a tish NE of central ND
Ive been considering the semi route for the answer to my truck shortage here also. A few of my neighbors have suggested that for me as a small farmer I can get in to a fairly good used semi and a trailer that still ususabel for 10-12,000$ Right now we have a couple of 1973 chevy single axles/box/ hoist, A semi would hold more and likely cost about the same as those two combiined, be newer, and faster than the wagon that I also use to help out. I used to take that wagon 8 miles to the elevator.....Now only do that when I need the wagon empty, as the time involved to drive it 8 or ten miles is such a waste, and my tractor tires cost AlLOT to keep replacing.Sometimes I just shove the auger under the wagon and load the grain over to an empty truck..it is faster that way.
Being a large guy, I am wondering which trucks have a good amount of room behind the steering wheel to seat area. Day cabs seem to have less room. (CAB over trucks are totally out of the question here. Climbing straight up and in is not for me.A lot of trucks seem to have Huge steering wheels (IMHO)They strike me as being uncomfortable and seats only go so far back till they hit the back of the cab.They all steer very nice and easy. Ive driven the neighbors few times here and am sold on semi's.I am leaning towards a Volvo that is properly equiped.
What you need in a truck will depend on your personal preference and situation.a BIG engine and tandam axles is a good place to start especially if you deal with heavy trafic and lots of hills.(My cousins made that mistake on their first truck)A smaller engine can work if you dont need all the HP on every trip you make, but it is better to have more than you need than not enough.Low geared bottom gears too would be nice
.OH YEA,!!!
I forgot , a fairly large yard is needed too as they are hard to turn around in small areas.Ive got a yard post right in the middle of the yard and it is just so-so to make a comfortable turn without driving on the steps of the house.Ive asked about getting the coop to move the (their)post and replace with underground and they sent me an estimate for 5,800$ for that one post.I guess Ill drive around it for a while longer ........
If/ when I get a semi I will also get a older used flat bed, I will haul my 1000 round bales I make anually ,many are a ten mile one way trip or more, it should speed things up here considerably.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 11/5/2006 10:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)