AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are tractors getting too complicated for our farms?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bern
Posted 11/5/2006 19:59 (#58341 - in reply to #58332)
Subject: RE: Are tractors getting too complicated for our farms?

Mount Vernon, WA
This is a post that will get some pretty passionate answers I think from both sides of the aisle (election-week joke). I'm surprised that my good friend NV Dave has not yet responded!

With regards to electronics specifically, most people love them when they're working right, and hate them when they're not. Since the reliability of these systems has increased dramatically over the years, and since they work far more often than they do not, I think it's safe to say that they won't be going away any time soon.

Not sure what to make of the situation with the Cat, but it's safe to say that some operator training was needed there. Most people want bells and whistles, so it will naturally take some training for them to understand all the features.

Myself, after having shuttled my way back and forth with both a mechanical and electronically controlled powershift, I'll never go back to mechanical! I'll take the risk of failure (low) with the electronic any day!

If you're like my friend Dave who prefers not to take that risk, there are plenty of old mechanical machines still out there! Just don't expect the major producers to make any new versions of the same anymore. It just wont happen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)