AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are tractors getting too complicated for our farms?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 11/6/2006 12:02 (#58540 - in reply to #58332)
Subject: It goes both ways.

Alberta, Canada
In some ways yes, they're getting to a point where they're complexity level is a pain. But as far as I'm concerned, that's only when repairing it. Like most of you know the story about the TS135A we had, a simple computer malfunction, and it would kill the engine as soon as the tires were turning with the PTO on. This simple thing, took 3 months to get to the dealer and be installed.

Other things, like on our TM125, computer issues, 3pt hitch doesn't always "recapture" after using the outboard (fender) switches.
Other error codes, needing to restart the tractor just like a PC to clear the error. What about calibrating the transmission electronically? Even things like the computer deciding when you want to shift, or do something. When shuttle shifting on our TM, you can count to 5 before the tractor will switch directions and start moving. When loading silage bales into the bagger, the machine rolls forward, and if the tractor isn't moving... Even this past harvest, I was putting bales around a temporary grain pile in the field. An employee backed a grain trailer into me. I can see the trailer coming, I've put it into reverse, but the computer still hasn't put the machine in motion. Luckily, it was me in the tractor, and I lowered the loader onto a bale that was standing on end, and when it hit the tractor, it hit the front tire from the side, and pushed me off the bales. The guy parked, and got out to unload. He just stared at us, wondering why we were "uptight". He hadn't even realized he'd done anything.

Some has a cool factor, but when thing's break down, or THINK they've broken down, just annoy me.

As far as operating them though.... I can't see what everyone's complaining about. I agree with Gerard on the fact that John Deere and CNH are very basic, with AGCO products being a little more complex inside. I sat in a Fendt 818 the other day, and just the amount of switches in there was phenominal. I'm sure I could get it moving faster than some, but it was still overly complicated.

Even my dad, got into a hydraulic excavator for the first time, parked on a trailer. He was getting in to lift the boom so we could put something between the tracks, as there wasn't any room on the deck. What I would have classified common sense to know what the controls were... He got in and couldn't figure out how to change the RPM. It doesn't have a leaver, it's got a few different engine modes, with a few buttons. "Idle, Low Economy, Full, etc" It adjusts the RPM as needed, excellent system, very similiar to John Deere IVT. After showing him that, he can't get anything anything to work. It's got a type of emergency brake, just like on skid steers and that safety restraint. It will block out all controls for safety. So, show him that. And he goes and grabs one of the track controls, he woulda rolled the thing off the deck sideways with me standing in the doorway! Needless to say, I, 13, ran the hoe from that point on.

We got a couple skid steer demos out at a jobsite back in August. Let a few operators try them. The first guy to get in, got back out and said, "I couldn't find the throttle." It's like.... erggg there's a foot pedal throttle, and a BIG SHINY RED LEAVER WITH THE RPM SYMBOL ON IT. Now what is so hard about this stuff??

I guess you're right, things are too complicated for most people.
No wonder there's so many accidents I can't understand.
Then again, there's some people that shouldn't be allowed near an operators seat period. If I need to sit there and hold someone's hand, I might as well do it myself.
-Josh
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)