AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

track tractors in greasy conditions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 11/8/2006 09:50 (#59175 - in reply to #59131)
Subject: In a word, "yes".

I think you have a pretty good grasp of things. The steering system and foward propulsion systems on a 2 tracked tractor are the same system. On a wheeled tractor, or quad tracked tractor, the steering and foward propulsion are seperate systems.

If you are a pulling fan, then you probably allready know this, but talk to some of the 2 wheel drive pullers about the importance of every last detail in their setup. Once their front wheels leave the ground, they change their steering control from the steering wheel attatched to the front tires, to the steering brakes attatched to the rear tires. You can hear, and sometimes see each time they have to hit the brake to steer, it will slow or sometimes in extreme cases, stop their foward motion. (modern 2 tracked tractors have evolved way beyond using simple steering brakes, but you get the idea)

Then watch a 4x4 class pull. They can move anywhere on the track just by turning the steering wheel. The power to change directions for them comes from the seperate steering system. They dont have to reduce power from one side and/or apply more power to the other side, they can angle their wheels in relation to the line of pull to redirect the full amount of power to where they want to go. (just trying to use a somewhat crude example here to give my opinion)

Am I on the right..........track?? :-)

If your soils are wet when you till them, then a compaction comparison should be included in your research. You'll have to weigh each pro and con of wheels and tracks to find an acceptable compromise. To me, every action I make effects every other action I'm going to make. Sometimes compromises have to be made.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)