AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm accounting software/programs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Bennachie
Posted 1/16/2023 19:04 (#10043595 - in reply to #9998917)
Subject: RE: Farm accounting software/programs

SW Nebraska Panhandle

I too was a long time Farmwoks user until Trimble trashed it. Only real complaint with it was that it was desktop based.  Finally switched to Traction earlier last year.  Liked the cloud-based aspect and that it would someday allow field operations to be entered in the field.  They still have a lot of work to do to approach Farmworks capability but some of the folks at Traction came from Farmworks so hoping it will someday reach that capability but not quite there yet.  They are very helpful and responsive.  I know the answer to many of my questions - Yep - we are working on that.  

Positive aspects are cloud capability, downloading bank and CC transactions (big time saver for me) and link to Climate Feildview which automatically downloads field ops to Traction - just have to add a few details.  I believe it does the same with JD.

Drawbacks - lack of custom reporting, no manual payroll and hard to find data (compared to Fworks.  And, of course cost - which is high but I guess they have to pay all the support staff and programmers.

Big beef I had this year was not including machine cost with cost of production - just inputs.  Unless you bought the very expensive Pro version.  Pro version is more for accrual accounting and I still do not see what allocating machine costs to cost of production has to do with accrual vs cash accounting.  Almost cancelled my subscription when they did that.  Even for a farmer with older equipment the equipment costs are  something that is an important factor.

I did sign up for Payroll this year.  Just about to get it up and running.  Earlier they could not handle pre-tax Simple IRA deductions.  Now they can.  I got tired of finding and paying for mistakes I made on payroll.  They do all the calculations and submittal to the authorities and I hope they make less mistakes than I did.  I only have 2 employees including my son so it never seemed worth hiring an accountant to do it.  Again it is pretty pricey but given the time I spend  doing payroll and figuring out what the rules are and filing State and Fed forms it is worth it - I think.

Anyway, I am hopeful it will meet expectations and do most of what Farmworks did.  Not sure if I was just a small beginning farmer the cost would be worth it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)