AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fill down in Excel with dates, numbers, etc?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tigger
Posted 2/2/2023 07:37 (#10073773 - in reply to #10073736)
Subject: RE: fill down in Excel with dates, numbers, etc?

Iowa
For the dates in the top row, I just type in the date (XX/XX/XX), select that cell, and replicate it down however many rows I want just like I would if it was an equation. Excel automatically adjust it to be one day later with each row. It's sometimes an annoying feature when I want it to leave the date the same, but there are ways to get around that too.

For a sequence of numbers, I enter the first number in the top cell(B1 for example), enter an equation (=B1+1) into the second cell below it(B2), and replicate the second cell (B2) downward however many rows I want.

Edit to add for future reference from an eternal novice excel user: If you want to replicate an equation using a column on cells (or row of cells if moving horizontally), but also want to use a number in the equation from one cell in a fixed location, cell B2 for example, enter $B$2 into the equation instead of B2. For example, you could have the price of gas entered in cell B2. In column C you could have a long list of the gallons used starting with cell C1. In cell D1 you could enter an equation showing the cost of gallons used in cell C1 and replicate it down however many rows needed for each entry in column C. That equation could be replicated downward if it is written in cell D1 as =$B$2*C1. That way, the entire column of results in column D can be adjusted for the price of gas by changing the price in one cell, B2. -that's in excel, not sure how it works in other platforms. It's also possible to use fixed cells from other sheets, cash flow and grain inventory sheets for example can be automatically updated from fixed cells on an accounting general ledger sheet. A fixed cell can be drug to another location and the equations using it will adjust accordingly.

-fingers77 made a good point below about having the pointer in the right place to drag, replicate, or highlight a cell. They are all a little different and it's easy to make a mistake. The "undo" function can be your friend.

Edited by tigger 2/2/2023 09:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)