AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This side of Paradise!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Sillinoisfarmer
Posted 6/7/2023 19:56 (#10260950)
Subject: This side of Paradise!

Effingham County
Thanks man I just about gave up hope and I live in an I state! Super dry May and start of a dry June and corn rolling up at noon everyday and only knee high. Grass stopped growing 10 days ago and turning brown in spots. Alfalfa is only 8 inches tall after first cutting, which by the way yield was down 33% over the 10 year average. Orchard grass has not regrown over 1 inch. Cracks in the ground are expanding and my well last year at this time had water in it two feet from the top of the ground now only has two feet in it 20 foot down. Soybeans are standing still and starting to wilt in spots, wheat looked good all spring but now kernel size and weight is going down. Been at this game for over 60 years now and not real sure how this will work out. If we get a rain will it turn things around, sure it has happened before and did last year. But how often does lightning strike twice in the same spot? But don't worry we have crop insurance and have no malice for non I state folks that farm. I hope they all have a great year and remember this even if I states are down there is a reason this area is called the corn belt. So sell every bushel of your corn crop hard, if you think the I states are going to have a big crop, but if we should falter what will you do when the prices rise next fall?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)