AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

want a scouting drone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

ScottKS
Posted 7/13/2023 16:52 (#10314485 - in reply to #10312997)
Subject: RE: want a scouting drone

I would suggest that you get a DJI consumer drone to try first before you dive into a infrared capable machine $$$. At work I fly a Phantom 4 pro plus and now a Mavic 3. For personal use I have a Mavic Air 2 and I just ordered a Mini 3 Pro. I'll put a link below to the DJI website, after flying them in less than perfect conditions all over the midwest, I wouldn't even consider anything else. The Phantom has over 300 miles on the clock and I've never crashed it (had some close calls though). I can't say it's never given me any problems, but since 2018, I can count those times on one hand.
The wind where you live is one of the most important factors when looking at drones, the smaller you go the slower the drone (generally speaking) and is more affected by high winds. The mini's have improved in that respect, but still won't take the high winds as well as the big ones. I have flown the Phantom in sustained 30mph wind with gusts higher than that but that's when I have no choice to wait for a better day.
I haven't flown my Mavic Air 2 in really high winds, but I wouldn't be afraid to. The Air 2 is really capable for it's price, I think it's hard to beat. I just got the Mini 3 because you can fly it in some places that you can't fly bigger ones, because it weighs less than 250 grams.

Here's a link to the website, they have a compare page that let's you see the differences:
https://www.dji.com/

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)