AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

House addition-how big for family room and master bedroom?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ohiohorsewoman
Posted 10/8/2023 09:25 (#10432316 - in reply to #10431487)
Subject: RE: House addition-how big for family room and master bedroom?

jcolli140 - 10/7/2023 16:03

I should clarify, our house is currently a ranch. Our bedroom now is a master bedroom already. I assume one day we will move out and one of the kids will take over the day to day operations and will want to live on the farm. If that day never comes and we get tired of climbing stairs in our old age we can move back to our first floor bedroom. I'm 33 wife is about to turn 30 so we have some time before that becomes an issue

You just added another dimension to your discussion: planning for eldercare. One of your children, potentially with a family of their own, may be moving  in with you. Multi-generational households may make a return. I had moved an elderly mom in with me until she passed. That was never a thought when I built my house. My recommendation is, if you decide to add on, try and imagine how your family might benefit from a multi-generational home. Even if your family doesn't stay in it, I can only imagine it would benefit any potential resale.

I recently had a friend pass who had to move from AL (roughly $5000 a month) to full nursing care facility ($9000 a month). One of my friends works as a home caregiver. That business charges full-pay clients around $25 an hour. Even that adds up. 

Just an FYI. You're 33 now. Don't blink. Life goes by pretty fast and farming/ranching's a life that offers plenty of wear and tear on the body not including accidents. Hedge accordingly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)