AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any hope for this external HDD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/16/2024 07:19 (#10577034 - in reply to #10574488)
Subject: RE: Any hope for this external HDD

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Thanks for the reply. I was not too concerned about losing the old programming on the external drive. I was more concerned about getting it to work again either as an external HDD for the DISH system or external storage on the PC. At the moment I can't seem to do either.

It gets more complicated. From the beginning: The DISH system was working fine with HDD drive "A". I asked it to transfer some programs from the DISH internal HDD to this external drive as I had done in the past. It came back with a long time estimate but never completed it.

I unplugged HDD drive "A" and reattached it to a Win 10 computer. I expected to need to reformat it since DISH has their own formatting format. HDD "A" was not recognized by the Win 10 computer. The in use indicator just flashes on the DISH system. Conclusion at that point: HDD "A" has failed.

Next steps - Yesterday: I then took another HDD external drive that I have been using with a computer. Let's call it HDD "B" which was working fine on my Win 10 computer and tried it with the DISH system. The DISH system should have responded with an onscreen message indicating that it needed to format HDD "B" in the DISH format. It did not acknowledge the presence of HDD "B". I called DISH support and they had me perform a DISH reset etc. but the DISH system never acknowledged the presence of HDD "B". The DISH representative agreed to send me a replacement DISH receiver. It should arrive in a few days.

After the phone call, I inserted a known working USB stick into the DISH receiver and did receive the message about the need to format it in the DISH format. This is the message I should have gotten with HDD "B".

I allowed the DISH system to proceed with its formatting process which was eventually successful. I then attempted to transfer a program from the DISH internal drive to the newly DISH formatted USB stick. I knew the stick couldn't hold much but tried it anyway as a test. The transfer menus appeared as normal. The DISH system did not complain about not having an external device. However, the transfer was never completed nor were there any error messages.

Since a "new" DISH receiver is on the way, I need to wait for its arrival. I will then try to get it up and running. After that step I will try using a known good USB stick and see if the new DISH receiver acknowledges it. I will try to transfer a small file to the USB stick. If this is successful, I will then try HDD "B" and see what happens. Should this all work, I might even dig out HDD "A" which started the confusion in the first place and try it again.

Edited by tedbear 1/16/2024 07:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)