AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clone HHD Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/18/2024 10:23 (#10580627 - in reply to #10579154)
Subject: RE: Clone HHD Questions

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Guess I would copy everything on the HDD drive to another HDD drive first (assuming you have one available). Once that is done, check the second HDD drive to convince yourself that it is workable in case of a catastrophic failure. Then clone the original HDD drive to the SSD. If that goes well you should have identical files on all three drives.

If something goes wrong while cloning the original HDD drive to the SSD, you would still have the second HDD drive for a backup. This is likely overkill but would offer the piece of mind of another backup.

I did something like this recently. I got a new SanDisk 2 Tb SDD drive. It is quite small and simply plugs into USB on my Win 10 computer. It is powered via the USB connector so installation couldn't be any easier.

I didn't do the above process of first copying my old HDD drive to another HDD drive. I just went ahead and copied everything from the HDD to the new SSD and it worked fine.

In my case, I was most concerned about the data for my financial program. I did have a backup of it on a USB stick. If I would have had a catastrophic failure when working with the HDD to SSD drive, I would have been able to retrieve the financial backup data from the USB stick. I would have lost some other files but they were not as important.

If you don't have a second HDD drive available, you might selectively copy the files from your present HDD to USB sticks. This might take a while so you might get brave and only do this with those you feel are most important to save time. If you take these precautions, the process of copying from the HDD to the new SDD will likely go fine and it would not have been necessary to make the extra copies.

Edited by tedbear 1/18/2024 10:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)