AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New iPad won’t accept cellular data
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/29/2024 08:12 (#10598768 - in reply to #10597142)
Subject: Are you certain you need cellular?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The title of my reply suggests that you may not need cellular and my personal situation. However, if you are paying for cellular, it certainly should work for you. A call to Verizon may clear things up for you.

When I purchased my iPad Pro some years ago, my motivation was to use it with Ag Leader's Ag Finit Mobile Application.

As I now understand this most any iPad would work. My concern at the time was what capabilities I needed to be certain that my purchase would be adequate. I went with a fair amount of memory which appears to have been unnecessary for that application. I have much excess memory so I could store lots of music, videos etc. should I decide to use it that way.

This free app allows for direct communication (referred to as Soft Access Point) between an iPad and my Ag Leader InCommand 1200. The iPad needs to be physically close to the InCommand in the planter tractor, sprayer or combine so the two devices can exchange data with each other. The Internet is not involved with this type of connection. This works well for me.

The data from the InCommand is transferred on what I think of as a "batch" process. The data is not transferred as I go but typically as a batch process when I finish a field. I can force this transfer manually if desired for some reason. The majority of the information about the operation such as maps, totals, etc. is then available in the app on the iPad. I can hand carry the iPad with me to the house where I can print maps directly to my office printer for varieties, basic spray and yield maps. I can use the iPad anytime or anywhere to display information about an operation such as variety, planting dates, spray, yield, moisture etc. It can be hand carried to the field for scouting etc. I can carry it with me to the insurance agent or government office as needed.

The Mobile App that I refer to should not be confused with Ag Leader's Ag Finiti Cloud based arrangement where the Internet is involved. That service is much more sophisticated and involves a yearly fee.

But back to the iPad, as I recall, my iPad Pro was available with or without cellular capability. The salesperson talked me into going with cellular capability. Not knowing what I really needed for the Ag Leader App for future needs, I opted for an iPad Pro with cellular capability and large memory.

To use the cellular capability I would need a service agreement with a cell phone carrier. I happen to use Verizon with my iPhone. I don't want to pay for cellular service for the iPad and just remain with a Verizon plan for my iPhone.

This means that although my iPad Pro is capable of using a cellular connection, I have not used it. If I should desire to use the iPad with the Internet away from a Wi-Fi connection I can use my iPhone as a "hotspot". Personally I have not found a need to do this as most of the apps I use are available on both and I just use the phone. On a trip, the maps would be larger on the iPad but since they are available on the iPhone and the car screen anyway, I haven't bothered trying to use the iPad
h
In other words, purchasing the iPad with cellular capability would not have been necessary for me. I could have saved a bit on the initial purchase by going without it.

Edited by tedbear 1/30/2024 07:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)