AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Monoslope or any cattle barn guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 2/12/2024 05:53 (#10619715 - in reply to #10619603)
Subject: RE: Monoslope or any cattle barn guys

western iowa,by Denison
(2011)the nice people at epa and dnr had me convinced i was going to pay hefty fines and be out of business in short order,i signed up for the grants and did all the leg work for a manure management plan as they wanted me to put all the cattle under roof in 1 year-some odd reason one morning I just stopped and realized I wanted to build all the buildings myself and did not like the engineering hoops they wanted me to jump thru
We started tearing out a 700 head open lot with over 1,000 yards of concrete less then 10 years old and started over
so far -so good,i have no manure that runs away,I can control that with the buildings
in 2011 i had no money extra to pay a contractor,on 16 buildings we probably saved $30,000 per building
I started with 1 building the first year and continued,its more management then open lots but not wanting to fight mud I guess.
I was 50 years old when I started-
I still think a guy has to start with 1 building,and 100 head to a building is enough to get to know if you want down that road,In Iowa it pays more so in summer then winter'
I show a lot of buildings to ag talk members,we have 3 differnt styles that are bedding pack,I have no desire to go to slats

(005 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 005 (full).JPG (132KB - 51 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)