AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bought a bull yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 2/18/2024 19:55 (#10629490 - in reply to #10628427)
Subject: RE: Bought a bull yesterday

Eastern NE KS
The Payweight sons I viewed 5 years ago were developed on silage and looked like bullfrogs. Their gut was huge while they were stout and powerful. Yet, their rib fat was modest.

Your new bull looks more carefully fed and should result in healthier, structurely sounder breeding bull than the pushed bulls mentioned above.

Your bull's pedigree is stacked with popular, heavily used sires. His progeny should mirror his EPD's. A lot of his carcass value is based on weight alone. His marbling and rea epd's are double a bull I had 20 years ago. At that time, my bull was in the top 15% of the Angus breed for these traits. Your bull is not a breed leader here but he is no slouch either.

In my opinion and 4-5 years from now, the bull you select to replace this Paywt son should have better Claw and Angle epd's. The good news is by that time they should be easy to find.

My paywt granddaughters are young hard working cows. About, half were thin enough at their first calf weaning to be returned to the high grocery pasture rather than the mature cow pasture. One of these thin cows is about my smallest framed but will calve on time for #2. So common assumptions about large framed heavy milking cows was not followed by her.

Edited by Doug61 2/18/2024 19:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)