AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dry lotting pairs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 2/21/2024 07:06 (#10633099 - in reply to #10632879)
Subject: RE: Dry lotting pairs

Saronville NE
Been doing it for several years. They are extremely happy with results. Enough so one guy is bringing me 100% of his cows this yr and gave up rest of grass. (Rent went up to $450 pair for this year plus he has $2k worth of freight by time you figure both ways)

Here's what my guys are finding. They are coming cheaper then daily cost then pasture rent. Calves are actually bigger then calves on grass. The old cows are carrying good flesh so handling winter better and getting another yr out of them and the breed back has been better then in grass also. They look at it as win win in big picture.

Most everyone here that fights the idea are because they don't want chores yr round. They just want to kick them out and be done. Easy way out.

2 yrs ago was triticale silage and wdg only. Looked great. Last yr something was different in the triticale silage so was triticale silage, tick of corn and tick of grass hay. Started with trit silage and wdg but weren't getting results I did yr before. So added tick of corn.

Triticale or rye silage will get you a long alot better on cows then corn silage. It's grass based why you can feed it so heavy and then just wdg. That ration is from a nutritionist from local feedyard that has fed lots of bred cows over the yrs. It works and is great program.

Problem I see with just cornstalks and wdg. Calves don't grow. Cows look like crap. Constantly sorting bunks. Is guys doing it here. But sure not seeing same results my guys are or condition of cows and they are only pennies a day cheaper on daily cost. So in end it's costing them money. You can't starve a profit out of cows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)