AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well first calves from ICC bulls today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/27/2024 07:57 (#10641659 - in reply to #10641564)
Subject: RE: Well first calves from ICC bulls today

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
So Mark the only requirement we had was to be black hided on contracts. We still get a percentage of brockle, white face calves. I've only had one shorthorn solid red bull. Only ran him for a few years. But before that we had blue roans in herd. That helped add a few more. I still get one to two calves a year with blue roan colors. I've never been able to breed that color out. More than 20 years since a Shorthorn bull here. Just about the same on a Hereford bull as well.

But any good blue roan heifers we keep, as well as red neck heifers. However the question I have for these so called SimAngus breeders is why if your selling polled bulls. Why have I ended up with a couple of calves with horns? I've got neighbors with SimAngus bulls, supposed to polled and no more than 50% Sim in them. But I've ended up with Sim champagne horned calves out of black cows. One ranch here ran Red Angus and Charolais and Black Angus. So I can see where I'm getting red and white calves. The joys of running public lands. However they sold white and red bulls. They must have lost premiums, they are going all black now.

All my off colored steers go to freezer beef. The blue roan cows I've got a soft spot for. Never been able to totally breed the color out. They by far had the best temperament for a cow to work around. Never had a blue roan cut off a contract either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)