AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till oats into this clover?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 2/28/2024 21:45 (#10644556 - in reply to #10644162)
Subject: RE: No-till oats into this clover?

nw NC
I thought about using Paraquat but not in the usual full coverage spray-to-kill-it-all manner, but rather to kill some and have some survive. I read some years ago about a procedure to get clover started in 100% grass pasture ground. Paraquat was used to kill narrow streaks in the grass sod by using streamer nozzles instead of fan nozzle. Streamers would kill a narrow streak of the grass and then clover seed would be scattered over the land and have freeze/thaw cycle get seed into soil contact. Clover seed would have a better chance of establishing in the now dead non-growing streaks in the grass sod. My sprayer is on three point of tractor . I can let it down to a point above the ground that fan nozzles would be spraying strips only a few inches wide. Twisting the nozzle tips slightly in the nozzle body would give more adjustment as to the width of the streaks sprayed and not sprayed. Going back and forth across the field would leave parallel streaks of live and dead clover. Pulling no-till drill across the field at 90 degrees to the direction of spraying would plant seed in dead clover and live clover. If live clover was too much competition for oats, the clover should produce well. The oats that sprout in the dead clover stripes would not have the competition and therefore the oats should grow and produce well. I think I will experiment on a portion of the small field and see what happens.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)