AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farrowing Deck Design Help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Slim McCurly
Posted 2/28/2024 18:18 (#10644138)
Subject: Farrowing Deck Design Help

NE Iowa
We’re planning on re-decking our farrowing houses. The existing decks have lasted 18 years. I’m thinking they would have lasted longer yet, but each deck stands on (4) 2”x1/4”thick metal legs (one at each corner). The legs are rusting away which allowed the sow’s weight to tweak the decks which in turn is leading to their demise. The reason for the legs was the concrete pocket the decks are supposed to sit in is 3.5” below the floor, the decks are only 2” tall. If the decks sat on the bottom of the pocket they would sit below floor level which is bad news when the water system fails and fills the pits. Baby pigs and water don’t mix well. I’d like to get away from the legs but I need some help figuring out how. I don’t think filling the existing pocket with more concrete will last (too small of an area to stay put long term). I would also like to be able to continue to wash the floor and have some kind of gap for the water to get into the pit. My other thought is adding new concrete piers and beams in the pit to bring the decks up to the desired height but this would be fairly time intensive. Should I just stick with the legs? Thoughts?

Edited by Slim McCurly 2/28/2024 18:22

(IMG_2599 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_2600 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2599 (full).jpeg (60KB - 38 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2600 (full).jpeg (100KB - 38 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)