AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some lambing Barn pictures this morning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/29/2024 06:39 (#10644809 - in reply to #10644724)
Subject: RE: Some lambing Barn pictures this morning

Thanks for posting these pics. I grew up raising sheep in a western range operation. I helped my grandfather, camp tender on range and helping shed lamb in spring. Grandpa would shake his head at today's expenses. I was just used to being around Columbia and Targree, Rambouillet then also added Suffolk.

We bred for wool mainly, the lambs was the extra. I have to smile when I see new fangled "tools" like zip ties used to hold pens together. We kept and used old baling wire off bales for wiring pens together. Grandpa had the only lambing barn in the area that had PVC 4" pipe down walls of shed to water ewes. Sure saved a lot of bucket work.

Grandparents went though depression, they saved everything. We got a lot of stuff from army tents to motor crates from army surplus. Tore more wood down and pounded nails out to reuse wood for pens, panels. Army tents where set up to lamb under for portable sheds on desert.

Finally gramps decided to stay in business had to bring all ewes back to main ranch to shed lamb to save losses. My father's dream was to take over sheep operation. However he had great job working for BLM so he couldn't own permits to run sheep. I wasn't old enough to take over when grandfather had to sell out. He sold out to two different family's they are still in business running today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)