AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting more pods per node
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Johndeere7920
Posted 3/3/2024 18:20 (#10650063 - in reply to #10650008)
Subject: RE: Getting more pods per node

Central Indiana
I’d try finding a plant that is a medium bush type and plant at lower populations for maximum nodule formation. Look around time of flower usually around late June early July and see if you have blooms that are there and not taking or if there is an absence of blooms. Planting a bush style bean at lower pops allows the plants to maximize potential instead of crowding them out and forcing more energy to go toward plant growth trying to outgrow the plant next to it. Think of it like trees in a line. They will constantly be competing for the same nutrients and water to outgrow each other to produce a viable seed to continue its lifecycle. In this case, making fewer but more viable seeds is more important to the bean plant than how many seeds it can produce that might not make it.

I would also look at your fertility specifically in the sulfur area. Incorporate some AMS before planting or add some ATS to your burndown program for a sulfur source. Beans absolutely respond to sulfur and use it to produce more pods. Snake oils or powders that promise 5 bushels do well to just pay for themselves. It can’t hurt adding something in the fungicide program for a boost but I wouldn’t sink a lot of money into these miracle juices. I would definitely focus on planting your beans first to get them all the time to make pods and take advantage of sunlight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)