AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update on Ag Leader SCM update confusion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/8/2024 09:28 (#10656979)
Subject: Update on Ag Leader SCM update confusion

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Earlier I posted about a problem I had with an update on my planting tractor. I had updated my InCommand 1200 to V 9.2 which required an update to the SCM firmware in my Steer Command Z2 as well. Th Steer Command Z2 is connected to the Deere CAN system for steering my 8310R.

After the update, the system informed me that an update to the SCM was necessary and asked permission to perform it. I did so but was unsure that it was successful. This lead to some error messages and general confusion on my part.

This morning I got a nice email from someone at Ag Leader who had read of my confusion and wanted to help clear up my thinking. I believe I now understand the chain of events involved. Apparently when I gave permission, the update for the SCM was performed properly but I was not aware of its success.

When I tried using Auto Steer I got an error message, that error message actually came from the tractor itself and was displayed on my InCommand screen. The error came about because the tractor detected a change. For safety reasons, it thought it best not to allow Auto Steer. The tractor had been running while I performed the updates. The solution would have been to shut off the tractor and InCommand and reboot. I had forgotten the most common advice of "if it doesn't work shut down and reboot". I believe that would have been the end of the story.

Last year I had the same problem and it was likely for the same reason.

This year, after I had received the first error message I tried updating the SCM using an update SCM file that I had on a USB stick. Since I went about this incorrectly I got the message that I was not allowed to use that firmware with my hardware Actually attempting to perform the SCM update directly from a USB stick was unnecessary since the update had been successful.

This also explains why my SCM seemed fine when I took it to the dealer and checked it out there. At the dealership, my SCM was connected to a loose InCommand and my SCM version appeared as 4.2 which is current. No error messages appeared. I took my SCM back home and reinstalled it in the tractor and tried it. Everything was fine.

Hopefully I will remember this next time. Once again, when in doubt reboot and try again.

Edited by tedbear 3/9/2024 07:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)