AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Trimble compatability
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/12/2024 08:22 (#10662233 - in reply to #10662182)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Trimble compatability

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Gromit - 3/12/2024 07:44

There is also a sensor on the front steering Axel. Is that needed? My son said we could run both if we had to but would like eliminate one if we could. It's good to hear that we can use the valve and not have to rely on something mounted on the steering wheel

The device on the front steering axle of a front wheel steer vehicle is the steering position sensor that I referred to above. The purpose of this device is to inform the system as to how the wheels on the steering axle are currently pointing. This gives the steering controller a point of reference so it can decide if and how much it should turn the steering system.

With a front wheel steered vehicle, the steering position sensor is mounted on the front axle. With an articulated tractor the steering position sensor is mounted at the articulation point. With a rear steered machine such as a combine it is mounted on the rear axle. With a two track tractor it is not used since the assumption is that with no input the tractor should drive straight. .

Now that auto steer is common, many vehicles come with a factory installed steering position sensor which possibly can be used.

Trimble handles this concept by using a small box with a short fragile cable on it which I believe is referred to as Auto Sense. This is a "magic box" in that it uses internal sensors to detect a change in the steering angle. On my old STX with Trimble steering that box is mounted at the articulation point.

For many applications Ag Leader requires using their general purpose steering position sensor. This is generally connected to something that changes with the steering via ball joint type linkage.

It would have been nice if when I switched the older Deere tractors from Trimble to Ag Leader that I would have been able to continue to use the Trimble auto sense device. However, that was not the case. The Ag Leader general purpose wheel position sensor was needed.

My installer modified the Ag Leader General purpose linkage to better fit the steering on the FWD on the 8310 and the ILS front on the 8120.

So in your situation, my guess is that the device you see will not be needed but an Ag Leader sensor will need to be added. If your tractor came with a factory installed wheel position sensor it may ne possible to use it.

So yes, it will be desirable that you can reuse the steering valve as I suspect.

Your mention the steering wheel type of assisted steering. Ag Leader currently offers Steady Steer which is their offering for that approach. It consists of a bracket, steering wheel drive wheel and a small motor. The motor is controlled by a Steering Control Module mounted on the floor. This works with the InCommand also.

It works very well. I happen to have one of those in my combine. Since you already have an external steering valve I would suggest going that route.

You will find the InCommand to be extremely useful. It may be a bit bewildering at first because of all of its capabilities but there is a reason and purpose for them.

Edited by tedbear 3/12/2024 08:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)