AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven 440 to Agleader InCommand 800
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/20/2024 07:47 (#10672380 - in reply to #10671908)
Subject: RE: Raven 440 to Agleader InCommand 800

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree with the above. I used one with my Raven 440/450 in the past. The 440/450 still controls the sprayer as before. A 9 pin connector on the back of the 440/450 and the proper cable connects to Ag Leader's Application Rate Module. This allows the two devices to exchange information. This arrangement is referred to as a "Serial Connection".

The Raven sends data to the Ag Leader system as far as owhich booms are currently ON, the flow rate it is receiving from its flow meter and other data. Since the Ag Leader knows the location from its GPS, the sections that are ON, the flow rate etc., it can create both coverage and as applied maps. The Ag Leader also provides various helpful totals such as Area and Volume. Some of this information is redundant and is already available on the Raven.

It is also possible to create a prescription rate file on a computer and copy the data to a USB stick. Since the Ag Leader knows its current location, it can consult the Rx file and send the desired rate over to the Raven. The rate is sent to the Rate 1 Register. The effect is that the Ag Leader is controlling the value for Rate 1 that you usually enter with your fingers. Rate 2 and MANual are not affected meaning the operator can decide to override the Rx setting if desired.

One thing that is not possible with this arrangement is auto swath. The Master and Boom section switches on the Raven still behave as before. The operator needs to use the Master to shut off the entire boom when turning around etc. The operator needs to use the section switches for point rows. I used this combination successfully for a couple of years and it works fine.

Extremely old Ravens do not have the 9 pin connector. There were a few Ravens that had the 9 pin but it was for use with a thermal printer (didn't work out very well). Those models will not work with the Application Rate module. Any Raven 440/450/460 that is reasonably new should work with this arrangement. This arrangement can be used with other brands of spray controllers. Due to differences in wiring, there are two different cables available. One is for use with Raven, the other for other brands. The cables look identical from outward appearances but are wired differently. I happen to have the one for a Raven that I no longer use. There are a few settings that are necessary to change on the Raven for this setup to work properly. Reply back here if you get into that situation.

The Ag Leader Application Rate module can use this "serial connection" to a rate controller as mentioned above. It can also be used other ways that do not involve a Rate Controller.

One other use is to connect to an implement switch to start/stop a coverage map. The map is only coverage since the Ag Leader is not aware of any flow information. It can create a nice map showing where you have applied, the total acres etc. This can be handy for starting/stopping variety maps when planting.

Yet another use is to connect the Application Rate Module to a flow meter or shaft sensor. I use mine this way with starter fertilizer on my corn planter. Since the Application Rate module is connected to a flow meter in my starter fertilizer system, it uses a meter cal., to display the applied rate and make both coverage and rate maps. It can show various totals as well.

It cannot control the rate but only monitor it. The Application Rate module cannot handle multiple sections with this arrangement. The entire planter is considered one section . In my case the starter fertilizer is delivered by a ground driven piston pump. I can observe the applied rate and make changes to the stroke of my piston pump to change the applied rate. We apply a low rate of starter at a constant rate.

If more sophisticated spray control is desired, Ag Leader has other modules for those situations.

Edited by tedbear 3/20/2024 12:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)