AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring mustard into winter rye?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Clayfoot
Posted 3/22/2024 14:36 (#10675422 - in reply to #10675308)
Subject: RE: Spring mustard into winter rye?

Southern Ohio
threegnpowerstroke98 - 3/22/2024 13:58

If the rye is established and you can get appropriate seed to soil contact, it should be possible. I know of acres that get rye in the fall, and canola no-tilled into the stand in the spring with a single disc air drill. However, the mustard will not produce any nitrogen, and will not do any better of a job of scavenging then what the fall rye is already doing. So you may want to instead look at something like sweet clover (big taproot and nitrogen fixation) or a taproot alfalfa. However, they will be bi-annuals, especially the sweet clover, and you won't see piles of first year benefits.

That's some of the info I'm looking for, thank you! Having read that, I'm thinking field peas may be the better candidate. I've had luck broadcasting both of those before rain and getting enough soil contact for great germination of it doesn't drown. I have gaps in my rye where it was spread with a modified Agrifab aerator/drop spreader which I now loathe to use. At least mustard will fill it in until termination time and is super cheap (RK mustard seed for cooking has some great germination!) I'm replacing it with an Oliver model 54 drill that I have some work to do on before the fall cover crop goes in.

Last year I spread about 4 cu. yds. of mushroom compost on it when I terminated my pea/buckwheat cover and stunted my production all season, but gotta learn somehow. Looking for a ground driven manure spreader to spread chicken run litter on to compost in the fall as well and hopefully pull double duty spreading dry lime and SOP.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)