AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New upright poured concrete silo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tonesaguy
Posted 3/24/2024 21:00 (#10678688 - in reply to #10676873)
Subject: RE: New upright poured concrete silo

Chilliwack, British Columbia
All about ROI I assume.

Silos aside, that part I don't understand, the feeding automation will pay back sooner than the milking robots. I haven't watched his videos much at all in the last couple years, and even before that, wasn't a huge watcher, I'm doing the same thing.

If all his feeding equipment needs replaced, what is that investment again? Yes, tractor and loader can have other jobs, but will last longer not feeding cows everyday. Mixer wagon is single purpose, and very expensive. The automated feeding equipment is not terribly expensive, when you look at what it is doing. However, his size, I'm pretty sure he will be needing 2 "mixers", depending on the brand I suppose, I know a little about Lely, and that is mostly hearsay.

When you look at the infrastructure needed for milking robots, it becomes a lot more expensive. And you still need the labour for "other" chores, breeding, calves etc. And if the milking parlour does not need any significant amount of upgrades etc, it's hard to spend money when maybe the mixer and tractor need replaced anyway, that in itself goes a long ways to purchasing the automated feeding equipment.

But the silos, I don't know, that part I don't understand. Gonna need quite the blower to get it up that little pipe I would think!

Glenn
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)