AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk to me about enrolling in CRP
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Kneedeep 2011
Posted 3/25/2024 08:27 (#10679174 - in reply to #10679031)
Subject: RE: Talk to me about enrolling in CRP

North Mississippi Delta / Alabama Gulf Coast
I had the wildlife biologist from state do an evaluation on a new property bought just to hunt.
We talked about ways to enhance habitat and I asked about CRP enrollment and was strongly advised not to go that route unless cost is an issue.
The jest of the conversation was that CRP has restrictions and I wouldn’t be able to do as I please on any enrolled acres including planting. If the improvements could be done on my dime, don’t go that route.

I also had looked at a property that was perfect for hunting, even had a flashboard riser in a drainage that made a 5ac hole installed prior to enrollment in some sort of federal wildlife program by the original heirs before selling the 80 ac property. The restrictions included, could not put a plow in the ground or cut/trim ANY tree or bush. No trail building or earth manipulation allowed. No restrictions on hunting but land manipulation was restricted.
Apparently, a group of sportsmen from Memphis purchased it and started cleaning off a couple foodplots and feds stopped all work and fined them. Either they didn’t know about the easement or didn’t read the restrictions.
They paid 110k 3 years prior and were asking 75k and would entertain an offer. I was encouraged to make any offer as the group was desperate to sell according to their agent, so I reluctantly offered 35k and they countered 50k. I passed.
In all fairness, this was 14yrs ago.

Edited by Kneedeep 2011 3/25/2024 08:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)