AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gps light bar guidance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Eric from Canada
Posted 3/26/2024 04:49 (#10680615 - in reply to #10680527)
Subject: RE: Gps light bar guidance

Quebec, Canada
The cheapest option I have seen for light bar guidance is an Android tablet running Field Navigator (free app, not available for iOS). If you have an Android tablet or smartphone, download the app and try it out walking in your yard to see if you can work with the layout. If the program suits you I recommend getting a Bluetooth GPS receiver like the garmin GLO 2(much more accurate gps position compared to the 10m accuracy many phone/tablets have built in) and a RAM amount to safely hold your tablet. You should be able to get that together for $300 or less if you already have an Android tablet.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a lightbar system. They are alright if you just need to find which corn row you should be centred on, but you are much better off getting a guidance system that will actually steer your tractor and let you keep a closer eye on the sprayer. The cheapest option for a steering kit I have found is the Wheelman Pro (I have one on my family farm, it cost $5000 CAD 2 years ago). You have to install it yourself, but there are a bunch of helpful videos on YouTube and most people would be able to install it alone in an afternoon. Some mechanics might be willing to do the install for you if you need a hand. I’ve contacted Wheelman’s phone support 3 or 4 times and they have always been very helpful. There were some rumours last year that the company was going under when the auto steer units were out of stock for a while, but everything is in stock on their online store at the moment.

If you want something supported by a local dealer have a look at the Trimble GFX, AgLeader InCommand 800, or a Raven CR7. Any of those could be used as a lightbar with the option to add steering down the line if you want.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)