AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

watch price
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 3/31/2024 13:44 (#10687952 - in reply to #10687587)
Subject: RE: watch price

There's lots of reasons, and since Covid I have seen larger (and more often) price swings on Amazon vs anywhere.

If you don't really need something, put it in your cart (or save for later, NOT a wish list). Sometimes the price can change, sometimes up, sometimes down. Kinda neat to see really.

For that particular watch, I bet it is finally out of model stock, it's been discontinued and the seller is cleaning up stock. Maybe?? Wal Mart online shows it as out of stock.

A watch I bought from Casio, no longer in production for some time now is STILL available at Amazon, but the prices are getting extreme for it. I believe some sellers are hoping to make that last bit of profit on their last few items. A printer for my FIL did the same thing. A few years out of production, but still available for 3x what it was when originally purchased and 3x what a similar printer is now. If I REALLY wanted that particular printer, yes I could still get it, but I was going to have to PAY.

Things I bought a year or less ago are now much more now than then when I originally purchased them. Random thing. Sometimes it's office supplies, sometimes a tool.

I have even caught their search engine cheating. I look for something, and find what I want, but at what I feel to be an odd seller (no quick ship options are a flag) or it's maybe more than what I feel it should be.

I'll then go back to Google and do a search and lo and behold from Amazon, a completely DIFFERENT seller selling what I was looking for at a sometimes better price and sometimes with Prime shipping. Not always, but sometimes.

It just happened on Friday. I was looking for a replacement oil pressure gauge for a Murphy system. I found one on Amazon early last week before I got sick for X price delivered in a few days - I remembered. Friday I no longer had that listing, but the model and searched using their engine. I found it from a seller for a near-ish price, but with shipping a week or more away. Well I REMEMBERED a shorter shipping option when looking Monday so I used Google (where most online part searches start or end (good or bad)) and looked there.

Lo and Behold I found a completely DIFFERENT listing on A that did NOT come up on THEIR search. I think about the same price, but DEFINITELY shipped faster as I remembered.

I always check. Unless the price I am satisfied with. Things like above are happening more and more.

Several years ago I found a grain leg drive Gilmer belt for about $250 on Amazon. My FIL said the last time he bought it a few years before it was near $750 from a brick an mortar store. I couldn't get it bought fast enough and it WAS really that inexpensive for the correct product - not a fake. I immediately went back and tried to find another at that price or ANYWHERE close, to no avail. It was available immediately again, but this time it was well over $1,000.

I always chalked that up to maybe that was the last one I bought of a NOS stock batch perhaps and the seller or a different one had them for the going market price vs the one I may have purchased as a price that "fell through the cracks".

I've really only seen something like that a few times, that was the biggest price swing and cheapest one I remember.

Bottom line is I almost always price shop Amazon ESPECIALLY for something 100,000 other people wouldn't be looking for such as hardware or specific parts.

Sometime I DO get lucky still, sometimes not. Hardware has a nasty habit of being either priced very well OR priced 10% more than what a local mom and pop hardware store 50 miles from me would have to charge to make their margin.

Just my observations from over the years.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)