AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer control for Protrakker type steering hitches?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mkurkowski
Posted 4/4/2024 12:34 (#10693531 - in reply to #10692960)
Subject: RE: Steer control for Protrakker type steering hitches?

Ogallala,NE
507farmer - 4/3/2024 21:29

If you end up using an active guidance system I think you would like an orthman tracker system more than a Protrakker hitch. In my experience the steering hitch alone is too far away from the planter to be perfect with the tractor. If you do buy a steering hitch I would consider adding 2 Sunco stabilizer coulters to your planter. I think a steering hitch combined with coulters would be adequate for what you want to achieve.

I think there are many people who noticed the same thing I did with just a steering hitch and there is plenty of them for sale on classifieds and on marketplace for reasonable prices.

I would agree with this.

The tracker system will be much more precise. The downside is it will take some tinkering to keep it working well. We constantly adjust calibration for speed, ground conditions, hyd oil temp. Also, not much fun filling planter boxes with that frame hanging off the back. If you're willing to put up with the hassles, it will absolutely keep the planter on the line.

The steerable hitch is nice because it helps you get lined up at the end. Also nothing hanging off the back of the planter. But it will never be as accurate. Works ok on gently rolling sidehills. It will not keep up when you go over a ridge that transitions from one side slope to the other. Also it does not work at all if trying to plant on a ridge or tall, hard striptill strip.

I'm in the process of adding four 30" rigid coulters to my planter. Hope this helps the steerable hitch do its thing better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)