AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Settings and Connector to Export NMEA?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/4/2024 08:18 (#10693198 - in reply to #10693108)
Subject: RE: Settings and Connector to Export NMEA?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
It is easy to get confused with the Tx and Rx pins. The term Tx refers to the wire from a device that is transmitting or sending out information. Rx means the wire that is receiving information. The two ports on the rear of the 750 could be another point of confusion. When I used a 750, I got GPS for another device out of the Nav II steering controller.

The Rx and Tx terms refer to the device they are connected to. In normal use you will want the Tx line from the GPS (750) to connect to the Rx line going into the Pro 700. The Tx from the device really does not need to be connected to the Rx line of the GPS (750) in many cases. In some situations that other wire is needed since the device might try to change the setup of the GPS. In your situation that is done with the menus that you show. Pin 5 is signal ground and must go to signal ground.

So either your red and green wires are connected correctly or they need to be crisscrossed. There is no doubt that Pin 5 (black wire) must connect to Pin 5 on the other side since it is for signal ground.

Supposing you need to crisscross the red and green wires. You could literally use a soldering iron to remove and solder the green and red wires in the opposite locations.. Another approach is a device called a Null modem that can be purchased This is a small device with a 9 pin male on one end and a 9 pin female on the other. You put it between the two cables. Internally this Null Modem swaps the wires for you. This might be a more attractive solution rather than doing some soldering.

I'm not familiar with the settings that the Pro 700 expects but your choices seem reasonable. The BAUD rate seems quite high but might be OK.

The BAUD rate refers to how "fast" the information is transferred from the GPS to the Pro 700, I compare this to the speed of the old bale elevator on the farm. If the elevator is running too fast, the poor guy in the barn may not be able to keep up. He gets disgusted and sits down. This might be happening with your tests, the GPS might be sending out the GPS information faster than the Pro 700 can handle it.

Generally having the BAUD rate set much slower than the receiver can tolerate is acceptable, its just that the Pro 700's information might be coming in slowly and affect things like steering. For other tasks the slower than necessary BAUD rate might not hurt.

I would try to find documentation indicating what the Pro 700 is expecting as far as NMEA sentences and BAUD rates. Having more than necessary turned ON or having them coming in too fast may overwhelm the Pro 700.

If after setting the output from the 750 to the suggested values doesn't work I would explore the Null Modem. Purchasing the correct cable would be another option but the settings still need to be correct.

Edited by tedbear 4/4/2024 08:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)