AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sweet corn picker
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

John e.c.MI
Posted 4/5/2024 08:40 (#10694629 - in reply to #10693412)
Subject: RE: Sweet corn picker

Croswell, Michigan
I have no idea of what your market is, your volume is, or anything like that, so this is just my two cents.

We have grown some sweetcorn for probably 20+ years. We bought a Byron 106 one year and didn’t even finish the season with it and went back to handpick. We were picking into pallet size bins on a flatbed wagon behind the picker. When we handpick, essentially you’re sorting while you pick. 99% of the time we’re only picking the top ear, we skip any coon damage, ears with smut, etc. The picker picks everything and then you have to sort afterwards. Without having a conveyor belt to dump onto and sort, we had to sort as we were taking corn out of the bins, which was very time-consuming. The next year we did a sweetcorn trial with a Syngenta rep to see if by increasing population, we could make the sweetcorn plant only put on one ear. We did multiple reps clear up into the mid 30,000’s and could not get the plant to stop putting on second ear. We eventually sold the picker, and never had an interest in one again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)