AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yard wifi ideas?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

poorboy
Posted 4/8/2024 14:13 (#10699319)
Subject: Yard wifi ideas?

Southern Alberta
I have a 10 acre farm yard site with 2 houses, 3 metal clad pole buidings a wooden quonset and wooden garage and about 30 steel grain bins. There are very few neighbors around here, minimum 1/2 mile in any direction from the yard.

Is there such a thing as a commercial strong wifi that could be installed on a 30' high pole in the yard to service almost every part with seamless service when you move from 1 building to the next? I do not want to have to enter new wifi passwords to use my phone in different buildings.

Internet that I have now is 60 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up and that is adequate. Would like to add 4-6 security cameras and some remote grain bin temperature reading in the future.

Bought an Ayrstone 2x2 hub C and it is really, really slow (2-8 Mbps down and 0.5 up) and it does not pass off to my router inside my house. In my house and garage I have a deco mesh network that works well, but has no range. Most of my wifi needs will be 150' from the central location and a little bit needed 400' away. Most buildings will be line of sight to the wifi pole.

Or is Starlink the better option for this? I can run fiber if needed, but it is going to make a mess of the gravel in the yard.

The info I read says that each connection on a wifi system drops the speed in 1/2. Does that mean that the max capacity of the equipment drops to 1/2 on each connection (say from 1 gig to 0.5 gig) or does it mean that my 60 Mbps speedtest drops to 30 Mbps? I can use say ubiquity radios to go from my house to the shop and then beam to a few buildings and then beam from those buildings again to other building that do not have line of sight to the shop, but worried that my 60 Mbps in the house turns into 30 Mbps at the shop and 15 Mbps at the next building after the shop and then 7.5 Mbps at the last building in the chain. And more importantly, the upload gets so slow that the security cameras on the perimeter of the yard will not be able to send picture back.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)