AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good Syringe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 4/17/2024 02:34 (#10709586 - in reply to #10709572)
Subject: RE: Good Syringe

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Personally, myself I like the Allflex 25 ml repeater syringe https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=B1BBE7BD-6840-4B54-9... when vaccinating 2 ml doses of vaccine. Have better control over the handle as get older and your hands don't work as good. Also easier for smaller hands to more efficiently operate them. However, only like these repeater syringes when just doing say 10-100 calves during a session. We used to use the 50 ml ones, however when I bought the 25 ml guns everyone using them preferred the small one as better control of the handle and ease of use.

However, with that said, when doing fall runs or big lots of cattle, we will use the bottle mounts guns Prima Tech https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=41590f56-a666-4c81-8... Just depending on ml use of vaccine what gun we use. Prefer to use 2 ml dosage guns on those vaccines.

The whole key to efficient and reliable vaccinating is a gun that fits your hand and doses right. After so many animals may see fit to chuck them and buy new with dosing becomes a problem. Miss use of vaccine and cost you can afford to buy a new gun.

I used to be hard core use on the Roux syringes. But as I got older, and I dropped more and broke them and forced us to stop and grab another barrel for syringe we quit using them. Lots of parts to wear and get loose on them. They are an excellent syringe however we found the Allflex fits us better.

The question on needles, we use 5/8" x 16 gauge on calves Stainless Steel ''D3'' Hypodermic Needles. I detest the aluminum needles! We change out needles quite frequently, and never drawl out of bottle with a used needle. Number one key to efficient vaccinations is cleanness and making sure dosage get in animal. My rant for the day is number one important job is making sure vaccine gets in animal, do not give this job to a newbie!!!!! I know everyone want to come help brand and work calves, and you would like to give them a job. So, first thing is they grab a vacc gun because they can stay clean and help you, they think. However, when dealing with 2 ml sub-Q, the person really needs to know what they are doing, or it could cost you big time as a producer.

You really need to train that person to how to properly fill a syringe and dose it. This next comment is directed right to the person asking how to give a shot to an animal. Cover your eyes if not able to handle my comment on use. A newbie (age appropriate) asking you how to use syringe I tell them it's just like intercourse, you don't pull needle out until action of vaccine is deposited in animal and you let go of trigger on the grip. Then pull needle out of animal. Nothing gripes me more than seeing 2 ml of vaccine on outside of animal's skin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)