AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Truck tires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 4/18/2024 08:28 (#10711184 - in reply to #10710807)
Subject: RE: Truck tires

East of Broken Bow
Before you go to the sale, stop at a couple tire shops.

I had a straight truck that needed new fronts, same reason as you: They were going bad from dry rot even though they still had lots of tread left.
I went to a couple tire shops, and found a local service center that did fleet work on trucks. Turns out they were willing to sell me used steer tires for $100, and brand new rims to fit my truck for another $100. We looked at the date codes on the tires, and found 2 steer tires that were under 2 years old, one Bridgestone, one Michelin, with about 1/4 tread left (more or less) and no patches in the tires. They were willing to throw in free mounting and valve stems if I got 2, and guaranteed no leaks at the time of purchase. The guy recommended I go with the 11x22.5 simply because they deal with that size the most, and it would be easiest to find more used tires in that size in the future. That was one of the best uses of $400 I spent in a while. Another advantage is the safety factor. The radial 22.5s have a notably higher load capacity than the bias 20s that were on the truck, and the height between a 10X20 and 11X22.5 is too small to notice even with the tires side by side.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)